Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Drawing Tips- Building up Tones Through Cross Hatching, Shading, Drawing Pencils

In this video, I will demonstrate how to build tones while drawing. I will teach you about drawing pencils and when and how to use them. And I will demonstrate the drawing technique of cross hatching. But, this time I am going to do something different....You have the option to follow along! I decided to go the extra mile and provide you with a worksheet for the final segment of this video. Take a second to go to http://merrillk.com and type in "shading resource"...print it out and do your best. We have a lot to cover, so lets start off with learning about pencils.

Key Points
- Start out with a light to neutral pencil and go darker as you go on.
- Each row of hatches should be done at a slightly different angle to the previous row.
-When you cross hatch you should build your tones up slowly
- You can differentiate your tones through adding pressure to the pencil but dont dent the paper or things will get more difficult.
- To make neat hatches, use the tip that I gave you (put a piece of paper by the edge)
-A slip sheet prevents smudges

No comments:

Post a Comment